Thursday, September 14, 2006

Welcome Home Kira!


With Aunt Tracy



With Aunt Tracy and Uncle John



With Uncle David



With Grammy






I'm going to be a soccer player just like Daddy!






Playing with Cousin Ethan



Getting a kiss from Cousin Connor



With Aunt Maureen


Well, I have been a mother for a week and a half. It is both more difficult than I could have imagined and more rewarding! It is really hard to barely have time and energy to take care of my own very basic needs. But, we really are doing great and adjusting well, and I have never had a feeling like the feeling I have when my daughter smiles at me. Kira gets more comfortable and relaxed every day and is really a good baby. She is a totally different baby than a week ago. I think we are pretty much back on Ohio time now. She is sleeping pretty well. She has just woken up for about an hour and a half the last 2 nights.

It is so fun to learn more about my daughter every day. She gets braver and explores her new home more each day. She crawls all over. She loves to stand holding onto someone or something, but she can't quite pull herself to a standing position yet. She does this adorable thing with her hand when she is interested in something. She reaches out to whatever or whoever she is interested in and opens and closes her hand very slowly as if to say "Come here, I want to touch you!" She pulls at her hair and sucks her thumb while holding onto her blanket when she is tired, stressed, or feeling insecure. She does well in her carseat, which I was worried about, but so far someone has been in the backseat with her entertaining her while she is in it, so I don't know how she'll do when she doesn't have that. She somewhat prefers Daddy still, but we are both acceptable to her and can comfort her and put her to sleep.

We have had two doctor's appointments already, one with her pediatritian and one with her cleft team. The pediatritian said that she looks remarkably healthy, except for some pretty bad looking infected ears, which is common in cleft-affected kids, so she is on an antibiotic. Her cleft team was very impressed with her lip and nose surgery done in Taiwan and with all the medical records we have for her. We are waiting for the scheduler for the surgeon who will do her palate surgery to call us with a surgery date. They will throw ear tubes in also while she is in for her palate surgery. They seem to want to do it as soon as possible. The earlier it is done, the better it is for speech development. I am so nervous about it, I was actually in tears last night. I can't stand the thought of seeing her in so much pain. I feel like we are just going to get her settled, happy, and feeling comfortable and safe and then she'll have to go through this, and it is just so frustrating. I know it must be done. I am on a yahoo group for people adopting cleft affected children, and there has been a lot of discussion about surgery timing and attachment. Many parents have actually found that the amount of comfort and care that parents provide after surgery has actually helped attachment, so that is comforting.

More when I have a chance!

5 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to hear all is going well. She looks so happy and is such a beautiful little girl. My son had open heart surgery and it was amazing how fast he recovered. He frets more with cutting teeth than he did recovering from surgery. Handing him over to the surgeon was the hardest thing I"ve ever done, though. I wish you good luck and a speedy recovery on the surgery.

Jan
(Ansley's mom)

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Welcome home. Everyone looks great. Kira looks like such a happy baby. It's good to hear that she is adjusting so well. Congrats and thanks for letting us follow your journey.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Darcy said...

Congratulations! I found your blog through Technorati in my weekly search of blogs mentioning clefts.

My daughter Rachel was born with a cleft lip and palate and had her palate repaired a year ago come November. I know the emotions and stress you are feeling leading up to the day you'll have to hand her over to the scrub nurse and watch her walk away with her. Know that my thoughts and prayers will be with you.

I plan on bookmarking your blog and following you on your new journey of Motherhood!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Annie said...

Wow- everyone on the adopting from Taiwan board commented on her great smile and I see why. That top picture of her is so cute, and she does have a terrific smile. I am glad you are all adjusting so well and that you are finding being a Mommy so rewarding. Congratulations!
~Annie

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,

So happy for you!!! How is Kira adjusting to this chilly Ohio autumn? She's beautiful, and I'm happy that you're parenting instincts have been so good - mommy and daddy do know best!!!

My husband is a soccer guy too!!! I'm sure Eliot will have a ton of soccer stuff! Enjoy! Amy H

 

Post a Comment

<< Home