Monday, September 04, 2006

Our Little Fighter

All packed and Ready to Go!

Arriving in Taiwan

The View From the Roof Of Our Hotel

Meeting Mommy

Who Are These People?

Playing With Daddy

Favorite New Toy

What a day this has been: wonderful and incredibly difficult! When we arrived at Cathwel we were met by Penny, the adoptions fascilitator at Cathwel. She took us to a little room and talked to us a little. She said that Ai-Mi's foster family would be arriving with her soon. While we waited she gave us a brief tour and we met our caseworker and the head nurse at Cathwel, both of whom then joined us in our room when Ai-Mi's foster family finally arrived with her.

I didn't know that we were going to be able to meet the foster family and it was wonderful to meet them. The foster mother, father, and their 3 year old daughter arrived with Ai-Mi. We spent a few minutes playing with her while she was held by her foster mother and then she let me hold her. We all sat and talked and the foster mother talked about her schedule and habits. She is also a nurse and explained that Ai-Mi has to wear the tubes in her nose that we've continued to see in pictures. Our pediatrician had told us that he didn't know why they would be in so long term, that that wasn't standard procedure. But they explained that her nose sort of "collapses" and it is difficult for her to breathe without them. She showed us how to change them, and that was the first trauma of our daughter's day. It was absolutely brutal, and our poor baby screamed bloody murder. They immediately handed her to me afterward to comfort her and, after a few minutes, she was okay again. I can't imagine having to do this every day, but we will have to do it ourselves tomorrow. They also gave us a plastic thing to tape over her scars from her lip surgery for 8 hours at night. Her lip surgery was 5 months ago. I am actually going to call our pediatritian tonight (which will be day in the States) because this all just doesn't seem quite right to us.

Anyway, the changing of the nose tubes were the only tears at Cathwel. We thought, how wonderful, she's going to be a little trooper. Boy were we wrong! Bless her fighting little spirit, she has had one rough day. It started out fine. She fell asleep in my arms during the ride back to our hotel. We got back to the hotel and played happily a little bit, then she fell asleep again. She woke up from her nap terrified. We can get her calmed down, but we always must be holding her and whoever isn't holding her must be within her view. We have not been able to get her to take a bottle yet. We know that she is hungry, but she screams any time she sees the bottle. It isn't a bottle she's not not used to: they gave us two bottles and nipples that she's used to and that's what we've tried. She reaches for it, but cries and then pushes it away, wanting her foster mother to give it to her we assume. Dan did manage to get her, while very sleepy, to play with the nipple in her mouth and drink maybe 1/2 an ounce. So we've got a very pissed off baby on a hunger stike! We actually called Penny about an hour ago about her not eating. She called her foster mother to see if there was a "trick" to getting her to eat. She called us back and said that the foster mother says that she normally loves her bottle, so it's probably just that she's upset by all that's going on. When she's hungry enough, she'll eat. On top of that she's teething and I think she's in pain from that.

I'm already exhausted and have been in tears myself today. I've left her crying with Dan to take a break right now to post this. My heart is just breaking for her. She is just so scared and sad and vulnerable and, so far, we aren't the ones who can make it better for her. But, I know things will get better. Right now I'm most concerned that she eats. It's been almost 12 hours now with virtually no food in her.

Well, we have AIT tomorrow. I'll post more tomorrow night, hopefully with news of a less traumatic day for our little one!

9 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger Annie said...

I'm so happy she is finally with you. Hopefully she feels more comfortable soon and will take her bottle. Poor little baby.

Annie (from the adopting from Taiwan group)

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. You first day sounds like a doozie. How terrifying for all of you. When my husband picked up Ansley, they told him she loved the bottle and took it x-times a day. She never once took a bottle after he picked her up. She drank from a straw. So hang in there. It is hard for her in her new surroundings. Children are very resilient and they won't starve themselves for long. Never had to change nose tubes but I've run dozens of ng=tubes thru the nose to the tummy to feed our little guy. It's tough at first but it gets easier. Maybe when you get back to the states, they can remove them for good.

Sending happy thoughts your way.

Jan

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin and Dan, I know this is so hard for you right now, but hang on. It WILL get better. I know it is terrible for you to see your baby so scared and upset. You will all get through it. Tracy called at 7 a.m. California time to see if we had talked to you yet. We are all thinking of you every minute. We can't wait to meet her and to see you. Call when you can. We love you! Mom

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Oh, I am so sorry that the day didn't go as well as I'm sure you dreamed. It's got to be a lot on her little soul. She will eat when she gets hungry and it's good that she is letting you hold and somewhat comfort her. I'm sure that it will get better. Tomorrow is another and hopefully better day. It must break your heart though. I will be thinking of you.

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin I am so sorry that your first day was so hard, but it will get better. She has been through so much and it will take time hang in there she will come around. She is beautiful! I will keep you in my thoughts.
Stacy

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger David and Janalee said...

Hang in there, it is so hard on these little ones. As good as Maya was to come to us she still wakes up very scared each morning and if she wakes up during the night time she is just plain terrified. It will come, you will learn what calms her quickley and she will learn to trust you. I've also had a baby on a hunger strike and I know how hard that is. We are thinking about you. Tomorrow is alway a little bit better. Hope AIT went well.
Janalee-Mom to Maya for 1 week now!

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
I was hoping for a happier post today, but will pray for you guys and Aimi... I am sorry that this is so difficult. Please let us know what the pediatrician said about the tubes and such. I do hope that it gets better for you very quickly.

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there. It took me a whole week to get used to Shaun's routine and for Shaun to open up to me, even though I had my aunt's help! I thought I was going to have a bad back for the rest of my life from holding a 15-lb 3-month-old baby, but it got better!

Jackie

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This child is so blessed! Just relax. No baby has been known to ever starve themselves to death. She will eat for you soon and you are so loving she will learn to trust you soon, too. Congratulations on your new little baby girl. Congratulations to Kira on her new, fabulous parents!

Jonni

 

Post a Comment

<< Home