Thursday, October 26, 2006

Kira's Palate Surgery








Kira had her surgery to close her palate on Tuesday. Everything went fine. When the surgeon came out to talk to us, he was actually smiling and told us that it went really, really well, absolutely as well as a bilateral repair can be, with no tension anywhere. He was confident that it was a very good repair. Now it is our job to keep it that way until she is totally healed and keep those little fingers out of her mouth!

She, expectedly, had a very rough day Tuesday after she woke up. They actually called us back to the initial recovery room, where they don't usually have parents,
because she wouldn't calm down, and they wanted us to help calm her down. I remember, from my own experience with anestesia, that horrible panicky feeling coming out of it, and that was obviously what she was experiencing. She was absolutely thrashing around for a good while. It was so scary seeing her right after surgery all bloody and thrashing around. I really had to keep myself together and stay calm for her. We joked that, with blood oozing out of her mouth and dripping down her face, we didn't need a Halloween costume for her, she could just go as is and would be a pretty scary looking goblin! I guess some comic relief helps you get through seeing your child like that. :)

That whole first day and night was pretty horrible for her, but she started doing much better Wednesday. We came home Wednesday afternoon and she was much happier at home. She quickly figured out how to crawl, pull up, and play with her arm restraints on, and she is accepting them fairly well except for when she is trying to get to sleep. It breaks my heart. Her habit falling asleep is to pull her blanket up to her mouth and suck her fingers, which obviously she can't do now with her arm restraints on. She will be getting very sleepy and try to grab for her blanket and pull her arms up to her mouth and just cry when she can't. We aren't getting much sleep around here this week! This surgery has also turned her from a Daddy's girl into a Mommy's girl. She pretty much only wants Mommy now.

Our biggest problem has been getting fluids in her since she's been home from the hospital. She has to use a feeder called a Haberman feeder because she is not allowed to suck until her mouth is healed. It is a bottle where parents can sqeeze the formula into the mouth. She virtually refused to eat this way for 4 days. Every once in awhile she would stop crying for a couple of ounces, but it just wasn't cutting it. We forced enough to make sure she wasn't dehydrated, but yesterday afternoon I was sure we were going to end up back in the hospital with her on IV nutrition again because things just weren't getting better, and she was actually starting to show signs of dehydration. Finally, last night she gave up the fight and started eating normally with the Haberman feeder. She has taken her regular amount of formula all day today. I can't even say how relieved I am by that!

Okay, well, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers that Kira continues to recover well and that her repair stays intact until she is completely recovered.

13 Comments:

At 8:34 PM, Blogger Annie said...

I'm glad that the surgery went well, and that overall she's recovering well. I have been praying for her and will continue to do so. Poor little girl, trying to fall asleep with her arm braces. That must be tough.

 
At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So very happy the recovery is going well (from a medical standpoint). Poor little one. So hard to understand what is going on in her world. I will be thinking of you as you all continue down this road of recovery.

Jan (Ansley's mom)

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Luke Martin said...

Wow,
You are both now professional parents (if there is such a thing) to go through this with such grace. You all look so right together. She sure is changing and i love that wagon shot! This much be so hard to endure for all of you but you are obviously wonderful parents.
Sheri

 
At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin, You are so strong! I know that you have to be that way and I also understand how hard that is. Keep up the good work.

Mary McG
in TN

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Tisra said...

All three of my kids are thumb suckers- I can only imagine the trauma it would cause if they couldn't suck themselves to sleep! What a trouper little Kira is! And what troupers Mommy and Daddy must be! I will pray for quick healing, lots of patience, and some sleep.

Tisra
Adopting From Taiwan Yahoo Group

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Poor Kira to have to go through this so soon after coming home. I'm happy to hear that her surgery went well and that she's now eating again. I love the picture of her all smiles in her red wagon. Such a great smile

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad to hear that the doctor is so confident about the surgery and that all went well. I'm happy Kira is eating from her special bottle now. I'm praying for a speedy recovery and more nights of sleep for you all. I am in awe of how well you've adjusted to being a mommy. I am excited to visit with you again. We are working on Helen's behavior!! Blessings & prayers to you all. The Tracy's

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger David and Janalee said...

I am so happy that everything went well. What a little trooper she is. I hope everything continues to go smoothly and her surgery heals like it should. We'll keep you and Kira in our praayers.
Janalee

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger aandl said...

That is wonderful that the surgery went so well. May she have a speedy recovery! We will keep you all in our prayers.
Lori & Aaron
proud parents of Alexis YaLing

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear she came through surgery fine. If I've got it figured right, the restraints should be coming off this week??? Oh the relief that will be for all...back to the normal routine!

Post an update when you can!

God Bless!

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the sugery went well, you both are so good with all this. It is tough enough to be a new parent without all the extra anxieties that you are experiencing with Kira. She is so lucky to have you both. We keep her and both of you in our prayers. Love to all
Luke & Karen Rosati

 
At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so very glad that it went well... some of the pictures brought tears to my eyes to think of how hard this all was for you guys too as the parents. I so hope that she recovers well and quickly.

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are such a trooper keeping it together for your little one during the anesthesia... I actually passed out from stress when my son woke up after getting ear tubes. Granted I was 9 months pregnant, which could have had something to do with it. When I read your post, I started crying because knowing that someone else felt the same scared way I did made me feel better. It's so heartbreaking to see them thrash. I hope I'm not out of line for writing this.

I am also so glad when these surgeries go well. As they lead your children back to surgery, you almost want to run and get them back even though you know it will benefit them. It takes everything to be strong. So along with commending Kira's strength and bravery, I wanted to commend yours as well. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home